Identity & Belonging
Thirteen thought-leaders & luminaries will take you on a journey of self-discovery & awakening.
Newfield Network's Virtual Summer Symposium
Identity & Belonging
This will be an opportunity for us to come together as a community of change agents and become collectively inspired, renewed, and transformed.
Have you ever thought to yourself, “Who am I?” Walt Whitman wrote, "We contain multitudes."
Who we are and who our tribe is are fundamental to our worldview, well-being, and capacity to thrive.
How we interpret our identity and sense of belonging is central to how we engage and live our life. Yet, they are rarely examined or explored. This symposium initiates this exploration.
In it, we will inquire into identity and belonging via a multitude of frameworks and perspectives. We will delve into questions such as: How do identity and belonging change as we develop? How does our worldview impact our identity and belonging? How does our work shape our identity? What is the connection between culture, community, and belonging?
Who is this symposium for?
- You passionately care about our world and desire to participate in a collective movement for co-creating a more beautiful future.
- You are a lifelong learner.
- You live from curiosity.
- You are passionate about transformative methodologies.
- You believe that by doing your own work, you are more effective at serving others: coaches, practitioners, facilitators, leaders, mentors, teachers. . .
- You are inspired and energized from being in thought-provoking conversations with like-minded people.
Come and be inspired, renewed, and transformed by 13 thought leaders and luminaries in this virtual symposium. This platform offers a flexible format that works with your learning style and allows you to attend from anywhere. In addition to the immersive live sessions, you will have lifetime access to all the recordings to watch whenever you like, as many times as you like.
Join us to deepen your understanding of identity and belonging, and expand your possibilities for designing a more vibrant future with a community of engaged, passionate, and trailblazing learners. (NOTE: CCEU's are not available for this event.)
Veronica Olalla Love
Facets of Identity and Belonging
Our identity, our root sense of who we are, is not static. The same is true for our sense of belonging. Both are dynamic, influenced by a multitude of factors, external and internal.
In this webinar, we will investigate how the ontological lense enables a new awareness, understanding, and experience of our sense of identity and belonging, creating the space to generate new ways of relating to both self and community.
Veronica Olalla Love is the legacy holder for the Newfield Network. She is also a senior international facilitator and CEO for the Newfield Network US. Her background integrates the ontological coaching tradition, Chinese medicine, and an embodiment of Integral theory.
- Learn why your sense of identity deeply matters.
- Investigate the relevance having a sense of belonging.
- Explore how the ontological model enables us to work productively with identity and belonging.
Who Are You in Work? Who Are You in Life?
In our culture today, it is common for people to frame their work and career in a way that leaves out their life journey. Work often seems to be where we fulfill a role of sacrifice and look for higher paid ways to sacrifice. Who are we in our work? What do we belong to? Bob will explore our contexts for work, leadership, and organization and how they can shape our identity and sense of belonging at work and in life. Together, we will explore how to heal the rift between our work and our life journey to make our work represent us rather than dictate to us.
Bob Dunham is founder of the Institute for Generative Leadership and co-author of the book The Innovator’s Way with Dr. Peter Denning. The Institute delivers multi-year programs in leadership and coaching in the US, Latin America, and India, including the Generative Leadership Program (GLP) and the Coaching Excellence in Organizations (CEO) program.
You will explore:
- The power of the contexts in which we live that are mostly invisible.
- How the mechanical metaphor dominates thinking about work and infects our thinking about ourselves.
- How our work and the way we hold it shapes identities for ourselves, those we work with, and the possibilities for creating value, satisfaction, and meaning.
- How our belonging is created by what we give ourselves to and how unexamined assumptions of separation sever our connections, our belonging, and affect our results in life and work.
- How addressing our context for work as part of our life journey opens new possibilities for designing a good life and making our contribution in the world.
Dr. Deepa Awal, PCC
From Awareness to Being
Our growth is not only determined by life experiences and how we integrate them with who we are; another crucial element of our sense-making and growth is how we integrate the unknown with our being and becoming. What assumptions do we hold about the mystery around us? What is the unchanging foundation of belonging and identity? How does identity wear you – as a tight-fitting clothing or loosely wrapped garment? What is the nature of belonging? Is it always there or a moving target? We will explore these questions and the impact on coaches and coaching.
Deepa is an Executive Coach with a passion for creating transformational learning opportunities for her clients and students. In her role as Adjunct Faculty at Fielding University and Program Coach with Newfield Network, she mentors students and facilitates learning of coaching skills. Deepa holds a Ph.D. and an M.Phil. in Organizational Behavior and Industrial Psychology from the Stern School of Business, New York University.
- Understand how life experiences impact development of coaches.
- Explore how experience becomes embodied presence and action.
- Learn how to integrate your purpose as an organizing principle.
- Explore your assumptions about the unchanging foundation of identity and belonging.
- Explore identity as a ‘loosely wrapped garment’ and the nature of belonging.
The Evolution of Identity: How Values Help Form the Self
This presentation will focus on how the evolution of consciousness and culture impacts our sense of identity and belonging. All human identities are molded by the cultures in which they live. An important part of personal development involves mastering these cultural influences so that we can ‘have them’ instead of them ‘having us.’
Steve McIntosh is an integral philosopher and president of the Institute for Cultural Evolution think tank. His books include The Presence of the Infinite (2015), Evolution’s Purpose (2012) and Integral Consciousness and the Future of Evolution (2007).
- Recognize the relationship between your identity and your worldview.
- Understand how worldviews are structures of values.
- Learn how to step outside your own worldview.
- See how you can develop yourself by evolving your worldview.
- Appreciate the “philosophical technologies" of value metabolism and virtue ethics.
How the Evolution of Consciousness Shapes Identity & Belonging (Perspectives, Shadow, Egos States & Beyond)
This presentation will explore how identity and belonging change with the evolution of our consciousness. Each evolutionary step leads to a larger perspective, expanding our capacity. Ego-states define the patterns within which we express these passions, Shadow limits the range in which we are able to explore them. The art of life is to move beyond such limitations of shadow and narrow perspectives to the vastness of our full potential.
Kim Barta is a licensed professional psychotherapist with over 25 years of experience. He has created unique forms of highly effective and efficient therapy for healing trauma, depression and anxiety. Kim lectures internationally on mind, shadow, fulfillment, and the evolution of consciousness.
- Explore patterns of evolutionary consciousness and how they affect identity and belonging.
- Experience four key perspective shifts that broaden the field of identity and belonging.
- Embody and understand how our Ego-states’ structures shape the nature of our experience of identity and belonging, isolation and conflict.
- Unpack three common shadow issues that limit our capacity to experience the full range and fulfillment of identity and belonging.
- Discover opportunities for moving beyond shadow issues and perspective limitations.
Alexander M. Love, M. Ac, Dipl. OM
Four Dimensions of Identity & Belonging in Coaching & Beyond
Who are you? Who are we? Hidden within these questions lives a treasure trove of wisdom and discovery because they form two of the central pillars of existence: Individuality & Collectivity. These distinct yet inseparable forces of life form a basis for human experience. A healthy relationship with them will create resiliency, deep joy, and satisfaction. Alexander Love, professor, acupuncturist, and coach will weave together wisdom from Chinese medicine and developmental theory to give you new distinctions for your life and coaching practice.
Alexander Love is a renowned acupuncturist, life coach, and luminary. Please check out his deeply moving TEDx talk entitled, How Embracing Pain Creates a Legacy of Love, which has over 32k views since its release.
- Discover the poles of individuation & communion as primal forces of evolution.
- Learn & experience four primary dimensions of Identity.
- Learn & experience four primary dimensions of Belonging.
- Practice & develop essential practitioner skills.
- Explore how to apply these new distinctions to a coaching session or any conversation.
How to Deconstruct Identity with the Enneagram: A Deep Dive into the Blind Spots & Shadow Parts of the 9 Types
As coaches, therapists, and change agents, how can we work skillfully with clients to help them see their inner world with clarity even as the ego wants to hide in the shadows and avoid being seen at all costs? How do we dance with psychological defense mechanisms and hold clients firmly, with compassion, as they deconstruct their identity, and then put it back together in order to know themselves more fully as an expression of the Divine?
Ben Saltzman, “The Coach’s Coach" is an igniter of human potential, an internationally known seminar facilitator, shadow dancer, Fortune 500 leadership trainer, coach to spiritually-minded, multi-millionaire entrepreneurs, and co-founder the Israeli Enneagram Center in Tel Aviv where he regularly facilitates the master level classes.
- Learn how the ego avoids seeing and "feeling into” blind spots and how to work with them masterfully using the Enneagram as a map.
- Learn how each Enneagram type reacts and defends itself as they begin to melt down their identity, and how you can soften and support clients through identity deconstruction and reconstruction.
- Explore shadow work: How to know when a client’s shadow is interfering with their spiritual evolution, and how to identify what shadow part is showing up.
- Learn why the path of evolution looks different for each type, even as we head toward similar destinations.
- Explore the way the type forms an ego out of a “lost aspect of Essence” at a very young age.
Identity, Belonging, and the Effect of Technology on Mentoring Capacities in Today's World
This presentation will showcase individual and collective repeating patterns that inform our identity and manifest in our individual identity and in our collective life. Understanding these patterns help us design interventions that are effective for each developmental level. We will also explore how technology affects the contextual play of these patterns when we coach an international client via the internet.
Terri O’Fallon’s life has been a passionate practice of auspicious wondering, learning, and marinating in life. Adding a deep interest in multiple and creative research approaches resulted in a developmental model called STAGES. She and Kim Barta, MA, co-teach practical approaches for the application of this model for coaches, psychotherapists, parents, and other mentoring positions.
- Learn the repeating developmental patterns of the individual and collective.
- Learn the receptive and active versions of individual identity.
- Learn the reciprocal and interpenetrative versions of collective identity.
- See: How do these patterns manifest internationally?
- Take home guidelines for development of these skills.
The Flow of Identity and Belonging - Neuroscience and Ultimate Performance
Flow is the state where we feel and perform at our best. It is a key to not only success but also identity. In this interactive presentation, we will see how our belongingness is tied to our biology and our brain. It is our job as leaders to tap into Flow to bring people alive and help them integrate and be a part of a team. We will explore the question: How do we bring flow alive?
Croft Edwards, is a master certified coach, author, social media influencer, President of CROFT + Company, and the genesis behind LeadershipFlow, the study of how to help individuals and organizations be their best. He has been helping leaders and their teams find Flow since 2001.
- Unpack the fundamentals of Flow, the state of ultimate performance.
- Explore the neuroscience of what happens in Flow and how it ties to identity.
- Navigate the Flow Cycle, the process of how to create Flow.
- Discover the concept of Group Flow and how it relates to identity.
- Develop practices to bring Flow alive in yourself and your organization.
Creating Space for Transformation: Becoming One with Your Aspirational Self!
This presentation centers on examining the impact of what is possible when we shift our awareness, language, and mindsets away from “Fear of the Unknown” (anticipation of what is next) to “Trust of the Present” (full participation in the current moment). Participants will learn how to channel any emotions of “uncertainty” and “not-belonging” into a practice that consistently generates energy, fulfillment, and aspirational living.
Marcus F. Walton has amassed nearly a decade of practice in the ontological learning (coaching) model. He specializes in personal mastery, strategy, racial equity, leadership and management, group dynamics, program development, and navigating philanthropy.
- Understand and refine your personal story.
- Acknowledge and express your true feelings (authentic expression).
- Accept your current condition as the launching point for the next phase of the journey.
- Set intentions to allow the joy contained within each experience to shape the next set of endeavors.
- Reflect with curiosity and gratitude.
Leverage the Power of Identity to Drive Leadership, Career, and Organizational Success
In this interactive session, together we will explore, discuss, and deepen our understanding of what identity is, where it lives, how it is formed, how to identify and strengthen it, and its connection to belonging, effectiveness, and creating the future we want.
Vinay is the co-author of Language and the Pursuit of Leadership Excellence: How Extraordinary Leaders Build Relationships, Shape Culture, and Drive Breakthrough Results . This book is a key component of numerous leadership development and leadership coaching programs at universities, corporations, federal agencies, and non-profits. Vinay’s focus is designing and delivering leadership development programs and providing coaching to leaders across the globe. He is a graduate of The Newfield Network as well as Georgetown University's Leadership Coaching program.
You will learn how to:
- Enhance communication and collaboration.
- Open yourself to new opportunities and create the desired future.
- Support clients in achieving the same.
Words and Meta-Words of Identity: Begin to Harness the Magic of Subtle Energies of Self-Talk
Language shapes our identity and worldviews. But what shapes language? In the presentation, we will explore the subtle energy, the cosmic dance of polarities, and their reconciliation-in-activity. Let’s get “subtle” together in a fun and exciting new way that is truly magical.
Joe Perez is a Worldview Artist and pioneer in the emergence of a new spiritual and philosophical lineage shaped by Lingua-U, a Meta-Language of Subtle Energy. He is the author of three books, including The Kalendar Series: Book One, The Black Stone, a work of poetry and fantasy fiction. He holds a degree in comparative religion from Harvard University and a certificate in Integral Leadership from Pacific Integral.
- Learn about the three foundational principles undergirding the energy of speech and thought.
- Discover the relationship between Yang, Yin, and Yung and the synchronicities connecting proper names, numbers, and other symbols.
- The underappreciated aspects of psychic intention, affirmation, and mantra (Sacred Words) in harnessing subtle states of consciousness and subtle realms of being.
- Identify the difference between pre-rational magic and a post-rational, integral magic.
- Explore the possibility of closing the gap between disembodied thought and embodied kinesthetically, and holistically harmonizing speech.
There is No Me Without You: The Dance of Identity and Belonging
Are our most intimate thoughts truly ours? We live with the notion of an isolated self and do not realize that this is the cause of much of our pain. Our reality and our sense of self are inherited from our culture and history; they are rooted in thousands of years of tradition. Identity emerges from belonging. Our pains can only be healed when we have a different understanding of what it is to be a person.
Julio Olalla is the founder of Newfield Network and a pioneer of transformational learning and the coaching profession. For over 30 years, Julio has trained thousands of individuals and worked with hundreds of organizations, CEOs, and government figureheads to challenge traditional thinking and create stronger leaders that can navigate the anxiety and turbulence facing our global community.
- Explore what cultural and historical “drift” is.
- Learn how our drift shapes our thoughts, emotions, and sense of possibility or impossibility.
- Learn to see the “you” in “me.”
- Taste the freedom you gain to learn something new when you can see your drift.
- Begin to explore how we can co-create a new drift.
Opening the Door to Your True Nature
Bonus: Exclusive Audio
What does it mean to have a true nature? In this talk followed by a guided meditation, Craig Hamilton explores both with words and through the experience of meditation what it is to reveal the true ‘self.’ He asks us to think of enlightenment as a practice rather than as something to attain. He asks us to discover how meditation helps us temporarily step into our true nature. By letting go of what blocks us from seeing what we really are, we can uncover the qualities of our being (wisdom, creativity, deep goodness, authenticity) that were there all along.
The Power of Appreciation
Bonus: Exclusive Interview
What are the three myths of our consumer culture that keep us anxious, missing meaning, and feeling disconnected? In this interview, Lynne Twist, author of The Soul of Money , talks about how we got ourselves here and how we are on the threshold of moving from a culture of belongings to a culture of belonging. She speaks of the power of enoughness, of collaboration and deep connectivity, and how we can step into this new way of being that is calling to us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get started now!